Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday Favorites- School Music Programs

I'll admit it, I'm a music nerd. In fact, I hold a degree in music from Florida State University. I also love school music programs because I was a pretty shy, dorky kid, and music gave me a place to have friends and assume leadership roles. I took several music class in high school, band, chorus, music theory, and of course did marching band!

So why am I writing about this? Well unfortunately school music (and arts) programs are getting cut at alarming rates. These classes are being cut altogether or being placed in the hands of someone who has no training in that field. Elementary arts are usually first cut, then middle school, then high school. With each cut students lose one more class in making them a well-rounded individual. Math and reading are important, but there is a lot to be learned in arts classes, such as creativity, higher-level thinking, time management, personal responsibility, and leadership. 

The take home point here is to support your school arts programs. You'd be surprised at some of the talent there is for a little bit of money (or free)! Support the schools fundraisers, and when you hear about the arts being cut in your area, stand up for them. Demand that the arts be apart of children's education.

*steps off soap box*

Here's one of my favorite pictures from my college marching band days of a plane flyover during the National Anthem. 


blog comments powered by Disqus