Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday Favorites- Recipe!

I love baking! So since Zucchini is on sale again this week, I thought I would share this recipe for Zucchini bread. But first a little background. I have never liked zucchini or squash, but my husband told me about Zucchini bread. His mother used to make it all the time for him when he was little (she died while he was young), so I found her recipe at his house, and made it for him. It tastes so good, and my toddler loves it too. It's really simple too! I'm going to give you the full recipe which makes two loaves, but I usually make a half-recipe or one loaf. I should also say I do it all by hand, not using a stand or hand mixer.

Zucchini Bread
Ingredients:
-2 Eggs
-3 tsp vanilla
-1 cup vegetable oil (I usually do half oil, half applesauce to reduce the fat)
-1 1/2 cup sugar
-2 cups peeled, grated and drained zucchini. (One of the stryofoam trays of zucchini is about a cup)
-3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1 tsp salt
-1 cup (4 oz) chopped nuts (optional) (I use walnuts)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease two 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pans. Break eggs into bowl. Beat well. Beat in vanilla, then oil, then sugar. Stir in grated zucchini.
Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir into egg mixture thouroughly. Stir in nuts.
Divide batter between two greased loaf pans. Bake in oven 1 hour, or until done. Allow to stand in pans 10 mins, then remove to wire racks to cool.
blog comments powered by Disqus