Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How Do I Use it? Pasta Part I: Background

Mmm... Pasta. I do love pasta. I think that's probably because of my Italian roots. Let's look at some of the information on pasta.

  • Origin is a but of mystery. Ideas include China, Africa, Greece, Italy, and Israel.
  • Italy actually has laws as to how pasta can be made. 
  • Traditionally cooked al dente meaning firm to the bite. 
  • Tons of varieties. In fact there are over 600 worldwide.
  • Source of complex carbs.
Why Should it be in Your Food Storage?
  • Relatively inexpensive
  • Great for use as a main dish or a side dish.
  • Filling
  • Good source of fiber and other minerals
  • Great comfort food. Seems silly now, but in times of great stress you might be happy to eat spaghetti or mac and cheese.
As usual join me in two weeks to learn more about the most common varieties.
blog comments powered by Disqus