High salt intake can have some serious health problems too, the number one being high blood pressure. High blood pressure can lead to heart attacks and stroke. It really is a silent killer.
Here is what you pledge to do:
1. Eat no more than 1500 mg of sodium a day. (This is about a teaspoon of salt!)
2. Compare nutrition labels and choose lower sodium options.
3. Eat and serve your family three to five servings of vegetables and two to four servings of fruits.
4. Spread awareness and encourage others to Halt the Salt!
5. Let food companies know you want less salt!
The worst part about all of this is so much of what is sold in the stores contains tons of salt, even when it doesn't taste salty and sometimes tastes sweet! Processed foods use salt a lot of the time to hide unwanted flavors and to keep food longer. Sometimes we pick foods that say healthy, whole grain, etc. thinking they are better for us, but a lot of times they have more salt than the regular variety.
As a personal side note, we've cut back on a lot of processed foods in our house, and when we did eat some of the stuff we had in the pantry it actually tasted gross to us. A lot of that stuff went to a local food pantry!
I hope you'll join me by clicking HERE to sign the pledge!