Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pros and Cons of Food Storage Containers

Last week we talked about proper storage conditions. This week we will look at some of the pros and cons to different food storage containers.

Plastic Buckets
Pros
-Can carry large amounts of food
-Good for things like wheat
Cons
-Not always completely air tight
-Requires a special dry ice treatment of the food before storage
-Oxygen absorbers are not effective
-Must be careful about stacking and keeping them off floor

Foil Pouches
Pros
-Hold a good amount of product
-Take up only a small amount of room
-Can be stored in tight spaces
Cons
-Not rodent proof
-Cannot be in contact with concrete walls or floors
-Must be kept in a dry place
-Need special impulse sealer

PETE Bottles
Pros
-Readily Available
Cons
-Allow light in
-Can break down over time
-May not always have an airtight seal

#10 Cans
Pros
-Resistant to water (say if there is a flood or spill)
-Resistant to rodents/insects
-Holds a good amount
Cons
-Take up some space
-Can rust if continually exposed to water
-Need a sealer (to purchase one costs about $1000)

As you can see each method has it's pros and cons. I personally have #10 cans because I have lids that come with them, so when I want to use the product inside I can just use a can opener to open it up, use what I need, and then put the lid on. But I'm also fortunate that my church provides access to a canner, so that I don't have to shell out the money myself. Plus since I live in Florida, I want to be certain my food storage will not be subject to rodents, insects, or the ever present moisture. Hopefully the list will help you figure out what is best for your needs.
blog comments powered by Disqus